Thursday, October 9, 2008

10/7/08 -- Jambalaya (again)

I had a good deal of leftover chicken from Sunday's pasta, so I decided to tackle the jambalaya again. My goal was to get the spices a little closer to right this time, and give it some more flavor. I made the full recipe, instead of halving it, and added one of my wife's jalapenos. This particular pepper had been sitting in the fridge for quite some time, which reduces the heat of it, and I copped it up very fine. The result was that I got a good deal of jalapeno flavor, without a lot of the heat the often goes along with it. It was pretty good.

Now for the downside: This is one of those recipes that says "reduce heat" without telling you what to reduce it to. I didn't reduce it enough, apparently, and managed to burn a layer of rice to the bottom of my saute pan. Cleanup wasn't too bad, since I know enough to soak it for a while first, but it meant that, even though I made a full recipe, I didn't get a full recipe's worth of servings out of it. Next time...

No comments: