Saturday, October 4, 2008

10/4/08 -- Vodka Sauce

So, I found this recipe for vodka sauce in the local paper a few weeks ago, and I finally got around to trying it out. It's really very simple: you just chop up an onion very fine, saute it up in olive oil, and dump in a big can of crushed tomatoes. Let that cook down for about 20 minutes, add 1/4 cup of vodka and cook the alcohol out for a few minutes. Then you stir in 3/4 cup of cream, and heat it through. That's it.

One thing I like about the way this recipe is written is that when it said to "reduce heat," it told me what to reduce it to (medium, in this case). That's something that is tough for guys like me, who don't really know what we're doing. I had a recipe a while back that just said "reduce heat." Ooooookaayyy, um, reduce to what? Medium? Simmer? Tears? It's very confusing.

Anyway, the sauce came out great. My wife was impressed, so I guess it's a keeper. Pity that asparagus is so expensive just now. It would go really well with this. Ah, well.

No comments: