Saturday, October 4, 2008

10/4/08 -- Spanish Omelet

Well, this wasn't quite a disaster, but it didn't quite come out the way I wanted it to, either.

This particular Spanish Omelet was made with red potatoes, bell pepper, onion, jalepeno pepper, and tomatoes. The big problem is that I really need to learn to judge quantities more effectively. Even after deciding to not put in all the potatoes that I had cut up, I still had too many, and that threw off the rest of my quantities of chopped veggies. I chopped up three or four potatoes, and ended up not using all of that, so it looks like two red potatoes provide enough for a two-person omelet. That scales it down to two slices of bell pepper, a quarter of a small yellow onion, and one small tomato. The jalepeno came from my wife's plant, and had been allowed to ripen to the point where it turned red, so it was sweeter. I only used about a third of the pepper, and chopped it up very fine, almost like I would garlic. I should have used a little more of that, I think, because it gave a very nice flavor without being too hot.

Anyway, I ended up having to use six eggs to hold it all together instead of four, so there was a significant leftover portion. This went into the fridge, but I can't imagine that it will reheat very well.

The really cool thing about something like a Spanish omelet is that it lets you use up a bunch of things that are lying about in the kitchen. For example, in this case, we had (and still have -- they're like loaves and fishes) potatoes that need to be made into something, and leftover tomatoes and bell pepper from the other night's jambalaya. But really, I could put just about any sort of non-leafy vegetable into this thing. Come to that, I might even try some chopped spinach. I should try to find some more recipes that do things like this, because we always end up with leftover fixings.

Side note: anyone know the "correct" spelling for something made of various stuff held together with scrambled eggs? My spell-checker likes "omelet," but I've also seen "omelette."

No comments: