Sunday, February 1, 2009

Goulash with Caraway Seeds

When I was a kid, my mom used to make something called "Hungarian Goulash."  It was delicious.  This is not that recipe, but it's still pretty good.  To me, the interesting thing about this dish is that it's a multiple-technique recipe.  You start by browning the meat, and then you add the spices, veggies, and so forth, and stew it all for about an hour and a half.  Once again, the new Dutch Oven comes to the rescue!

I decided to make this because this weekend is a little more scheduled than normal, and I wanted something I could make on Saturday, then throw in the fridge and re-heat on Sunday.  Also, it's been cold (Florida-cold, not real-cold), and goulash is a great homey cold-weather dish.   As luck would have it, tonight was also one of the rare occasions that all four of us were home for dinner.  Sometimes, everything just works out perfectly.

No comments: