Monday, January 19, 2009

Meat Loaf

This is another recipe from I'm Just Here for the Food. I followed the recipe fairly closely, but put it back in the oven for an extra few minutes, as my new meat thermometer didn't register done yet. My oven seems to be running about 25 degrees hot, at this point.

I'd have to call this one qualified success. The flavor was good, but I may add a little oregano the next time. But the texture... The recipe calls for two sliced of sandwich bread, cubed. I was not very happy with the results of that. The cubes of bread seemed to absorb the fat, and left other parts of the loaf not so much dry, as crumbly. The loaf, as a result, has some serious integrity problems (insert joke about a politician here).

So, next time: use breadcrumbs, instead of bread, and add some oregano to the spice mix.

Yes, I drink wine with meatloaf!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Carrie taught me how to do this! She says hello.
This has nothing to do with meat loaf. I did chicken stir fry tonight with a shrimp stir fry recipe. Combine 1 TBS cornstarch, clove minced garlic, 1/4 tsp red pepper, 1 TBS soy sauce and 1 TBS oil with the chicken and let stand at least 5 minutes before stir frying. IT was wonderful and the chicken had a lot of flavor.
Enoy your blog.
Robin

Tappet said...

Great! I'll have to try that. Did you use chicken breast or thighs? I'm told it makes a difference.

Anonymous said...

Hi Matt!
I got your email... Thanks!
So- my only suggestion is using soda crackers. My mother taught me that ten saltines to one pound was a good ratio. Also, if you let the meatloaf cool, it slices better. Cold meatloaf is easy to slice and great on toast as a lunch. (For many lunches, I will let toast cool and bag it for the next day.) I even have a "Brit" style loaf I make with HP sauce!
Anyway, I have been making vinegar out of the mead from the wedding. I am saving some for you and Dawn to make the final thumbs down on, but it did not age well. The vinegar, however, is smelling of sour and HONEY!!!!!! I think you may find some use for it in your culinary journeys, though I know you are not a vinegar fan.
I lok forawrd to seeing the next post!

:) Jennifer

Lab Boy said...

Hmmm... "I'm Just here for the Food" was a recently given addition to my collection of books when it was... anointed (let's go with that) by Galileo, her (never "our" when he does something wrong) cat. At least we still have the magnets.

Jennifer, you still owe me a replacement on that one.

Anyway, about the meatloaf, I can attest that her version with the saltines is pretty damn good, especially with the HP sauce.

Anyway, now that she pointed me to your blog, welcome to my RSS collection, and blogroll.

Mike (aka Lab Boy)

Tappet said...

Welcome to both of you! I must have visited you in the brief interval between adding and anointing, since I first saw "I'm Just Here for the Food" at your place.

My wife is now salivating over the thought of HP sauced meatloaf. Can I ask for the recipe?

Thanks!

Lab Boy said...

Recipe? ;-P

If your recipe calls for ketchup, it's just a substitution.