Saturday, July 4, 2009

Greek Pot-Crushed Potatoes

I got a text-message invite from a friend of mine to a Fourth of July cookout.  The invite came in late last night, and so I sent back a text asking if we could bring anything.  I got the reply when I got up this morning: BYOB and a side dish.  I couldn't find my Mom's baked bean recipe (Hey, Mom, could you send me that?  Those are yummy!), so I started looking around for a relatively simple side-dish.  The Splendid Table to the rescue!  The recipe is from their book, How to Eat Supper, which I think I've referenced before. 

It's pretty simple, once you work through it.  The secret is the food processor: use the processor to thin-slice both the potatoes.  This reduces the cooking time to around 6 or seven minutes.  Then dump the potatoes into a strainer, and use the same pan to saute up some garlic (also thin-sliced in the food processor) along with some salt, pepper, and just a little bit of red pepper flakes.  Neat trick: to keep the garlic from browning, add some water to the pan.  At the last minute, add a teaspoon of fresh oregano leaves.  Return the potatoes, mash, and fold in some parsley, sliced scallions, and the juice of a lemon.  It was really good, although the next time I think I will cut up the garlic a little finer, and perhaps add a few less scallions, maybe three instead of four.

No comments: