Monday, March 30, 2009

More Thoughts on Beef and Mushrooms

My parents are in town for a visit, and tonight I made dinner for them. I tried to re-create the beef and mushroom dinner I made a few weeks ago, and mostly was successful. Everybody like it, but there were a few suggestions:
  • The last time I made this, the wine I used had turned to vinegar. This time I used fresh wine. The mushrooms came out all right, but I think they would have been better had I added a splash of red-wine vinegar to the mix. I also forgot to let the beef sit, and then pour the juice back into the pan when I went to make the pan sauce. The result was a winier-tasting sauce. Not bad, mind, but not what I wanted.
  • My wife suggested that I have ready a little bit of cornstarch in some cold water to add to the sauce, to make a bit of a roux. This would have stuck to the noodles a bit better.

4 comments:

Serena Fichi said...

Wait a minute...you have a food blog!? I knew you were teaching yourself how to cook, but I didn't know you were blogging about it!

Now then...how about some nice earthy-crunchy recipes involving whole grains and tofu?

;)

Tappet said...

Yeah, um...

You may have noticed, I'm not really the earthy-crunchy type. ;-) Heck, my wife is happy if I remember to eat my vegetables, much less anything w/ tofu.

Mind you, I'm not opposed to tofu as such. I've had a couple of dishes where the stuff was very tasty. My complaint is that the vegetarian crowd tends to put it forward disguised as meat. I have never found that this disguise is effective, or even often palatable. Tofurkey is a crime against all that is good in the universe, as far as I'm concerned. Nevertheless, tofu, when eaten as tofu, can occasionally be ok, though it will never approach the sheer gustatory bliss that is meat. So, if you have any particularly delicious tofu recipes, send 'em on.

Whole grains are another story. Great flavor, but it's a texture thing, and there's really no way around that.

Anne Ruckdeschel said...

Hey Matt, when making pan sauces, you can use beef and chicken stock to help dilute the wine taste down. Once you cook your sauce down anywhere from 10 - 20 minutes, depends on how much sauce you are making, add a couple of tablespoons of butter, this will help to thicken your sauce and give it a little something extra.

Tappet said...

Welcome to the blog, Anne!

Yeah, my pan-sauce skills need a fair amount of work. I'll try the butter trick next time. Thanks!